Monday, 21 September 2015

Director Case Study- Jason Reitman

For this task I'm looking at a specific director and create a auto biography- I have picked Jason Reitment as he directed Juno and his opening scene for it I have analysed. 


Reitmans film career started slow until he made his first big production film called "Thank you for smoking". He continued to make further films that gained him a lot of credit. He is also responsible for arguably the best coming of age films- Juno. For his film career Jason Reitman has earned BAFTA award for best adapted screenplay, Critics' choice Movie award for best screenplay, Golden globe award for best screenplay, Independent spirit award for best screenplay for his films. 
Reitmans films are in the genre of romantic- comedy dramas. In Reitmans films he never really reveals much about the main character, he either doesn't show them till further into the opening scene or shows them without giving anything away about them. This is clever as it creates anticipation for the audience. His style always seems to be very sharp and flawless. The font he uses is always bold- easy to read. The music seems to be very unique and quirky which makes it anything but tedious- the music always fit the narrative. He has a set style when choosing colour for his opening scenes. He uses very bright colours which are visible and easy to follow.  List of films he has directed:


Learning Comments
From studying a specific director I have learnt that they have there own style and how they apply their techniques to their films. When contracting my opening scene I shall incorporate Reitmans way of making his scenes and then use some of my ideas too. This is because Reitman seems to have been very successful by his techniques in previous opening scenes and I am focusing on opening scenes. Although I liked his style, I felt that it did become a bit morbid so I shall have to enlighten my opening scene with a pleasanter opening as I feel this will make my audience react better unless the genre is slightly sad, then I can adapt to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment